If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Mar 31 11:18:24 EDT 2009

On 28 Mar 2009, at 04:03, Arjan Hulsebos wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:21:38 -0600, Alex S. Garcia wrote
>> I would totally agree with this if THAT was what we were sold in
>> stores.
>> Meaning if I buy a CD and what I'm buying is actually the 1s and
>> 0s (ie
>> the music, not the CD itself) then if I lose it or it wears out or
>> whatnot, I should be able to get another copy without paying for it.
>
> I'm not too sure about this. If my car wears out, I don't get a free
> replacement, either.

Yeah, my socks are always wearing out and nobody gives me free
replacements or upgrades either! ;)

BTW, still pretty much on this topic:  Does anyone know any good
online articles that deal with this controversy regarding downloading
and the future of the music industry.  I teach English at a
university down here, and I'm always looking for interesting topics
on current issues that I can take into the classroom to get people to
read and argue about. :)  The students are young, hip to the internet
and the contemporary music scene at home and abroad, but many are
also doing business-oriented degrees, so this is a great kind of
topic to provoke discussion.  Anyone got any favorite articles on the
topic?

Cheers,
Carl

--