Swindells's "Fresh Blood" (was Re: HW: Alan Davey interview)

Thu May 14 04:28:30 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 07:50:12AM -0500, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> I freely confess that I just followed Christian's example and
> downloaded the Swindell's "Fresh Blood" vinyl rip torrent from Pirate
> Bay, never having found any other way of hearing the album!  (Has it
> _ever_ been released on CD?  Shoot, were I Steve, I think I'd just
> bootleg myself!).
>
> Of course, the most interesting part in some ways is comparing the
> "Shot Down in the Night" (always one of my fave Hawksongs) with the
> 'Live '79 version; Swindells himself describes it as "waaay harder,
> more dramatic and simply better" :) and I can see why, though at the
> moment I'd say there are points in the song where I'd agree with
> that, and other points a wouldn't.  Cool track, though, and I am re-
> convinced I should do a cover some time :)).  And overall the album
> is pretty rocking.  I do feel like I hear a kind of latter-day Who
> vibe going on, so I can see how Swindells got the gig writing some
> tracks for Daltrey (though Daltrey was a fool not to cover SDitN
> because it totally rocks :)).
>
> Who's Nic Potter (bass)? Not Alan Davey's erstwhile cousin Nigel
> Potter, surely?  (Perhaps a bit young at the time, and there's surely
> more than a few people named "N. Potter" in England :)).
>
> Good album, and it's nice to have heard it at last, if only as a
> vinyl rip on MP3!  There's no reason someone shouldn't release it as
> a digital download, at least.  Might make Steve a few quid, after
> all! :)

	Someone was selling a half-decent copy of that at the Cosmic
Puffin festival, along with a whole load of absolutely wrecked LPs. I
very nearly bought it and am now regretting my abstinence. Oh well,
yours,
	Jon

P. S. Of all persons ever connected with HW, I think Mr Swindells might
be the one least in need of a few quid, though...
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk