Off Questions for techies

Maxine Wesley Maxine.Wesley at PORT.AC.UK
Mon Nov 2 05:02:29 EST 2009

> I thought MP3 was sound and MP4 some sort of video?

mpeg-4 part 14 is a container so it can 'house' all manner of data.
It's streaming format (from Apple/QT)

Could be useful to encode it to a streaming format as in the future you
could put your own laptop online as a server and therefore access the
music from anywhere.... e.g.  streamed to your phone

You can encode streams at multiple bit rates ...players will detect the
'best' rate to use (so if you have a slow connection it sends a 'lesser'
stream - which will, due to it's encoding be of inferior quality :-(
(but played locally will play to it's best advantage)

I have a friend who insists on the aiff format - but at 10Mb/minute you
might want a bigger drive?

I would consider looking to FLAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC) -
sounds good and you can play  on the ipod

connected to your new speakers: :-)  *>

http://www.conranshop.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=525282&cid=TechnoGifts&language=en-GB

I was in London and for some bizarre reason ended up  in the Conran
shop. These speakers were being used in the shop - which was a large
warehouse style - I was impressed with the quality and o/p. The ipod (or
any other device) sits in the docking station on the top.

Good luck

Maxine
p.s. make sure you back up whatever drive you decide to buy but don't
buy two of the same product coz if one fails the chances are the other
one will for the same reasons.
My god I am displaying an awfully large amount of logic for a girlie!