Krankschaft - The Flame Red Superstar

Steve Pond Steve at DOREMI.CO.UK
Mon Nov 2 20:13:48 EST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I don't usually post plugs to lists, but I thought I'd update you on
the Krankschaft album of Robert Calvert songs.

We've released it on CD as a Limited (250 copies) Edition with A2
colour poster and glossy photocard, it's also available as an MP3
download, find both versions at www.krankschaft.com.

You can hear samples of every track on the MP3 page, but enough of my
ramblings let me leave you with a review posted to our website:

"When I was younger Robert Calvert often provided my soundtrack. I was
born in industrial Sheffield and from my bedroom window I really could
see the canal. I could see the cranes, but it was Bob who made me see
them as an X-ray of the Taj Mahal. When I was 17 I'd sneak out at
night, take my Dad's Morris Marina and drive over the Pennines, flying
in fantasies and glorious solitude. When I heard '..Luminous Green
Glow..' I realized I wasn't a nut, other people got it.

And then he died. It was like I'd boarded a plane that never took off.

Many people felt that loss, not least Fred and Steve of Krankschaft,
and 'The Flame Red Superstar' goes a long way towards helping us all
feel a little better. All the classics are here but not as you know
them. I can't pick a favourite track. From the heaviest version of
'Picket Line' you'll ever hear to a fragile, poignant 'Greenfly and
the Rose', it's clear that Steve and Fred love these songs and know
exactly how to treat them.

This is not a compilation, it's an album. It does what an album should
do. It makes you dance, it makes you laugh, it makes you cry. It's an
integrated piece of audible art, right down to the silence between the
tracks. The sounds are beautifully complemented by Doctor Foxon's
excellent package and poster designs.

Bob's songs were cruelly orphaned at an early age and like many
orphans some of them have been mistreated. One thinks of the poor
'Ejection' dragged out and thrashed before the baying mob. Steve and
Fred however have nurtured those songs over the years and now we see
them, mature adults, taking their place in the world they were born to
inherit.
-Miniwood. "

Sorry for the blatant advert!

-Steve