Voiceprint

Steve Freight stevefreight at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 22 05:27:37 EST 2009

I can fully appreciate the comments that are being made around the
Voiceprint releases, and yes they must take some responsibility for the
mis-mastering of the CD where a track has appeared twice (not the first time
for a HW release (Silver Machine on SA wasn't it), but they have also done
some good releases (The 2 Take Me releases) and they can therefore do a good
job when the releases warrant it.

I'm also very impressed with the way Rob took Charlie under their wing, and
if you want to see what good packaging and sound quality can be achieved
check out Kitchens of Distinction. I also have high hopes for their back
catalogue as the band are being personally involved.

Therein, probably, lies the difference.

We know where the Collectors series tapes came from - there were arguments
on that at the time.

Also on the issue of Hawkwind Direct - could they have used the trademarked
name without permission - draw your own conclusions.

As has been said before these releases were aimed at the die hard fan - not
casual listener / buyer - and if we don't buy them (i.e. we don't want them)
then the costs have to be recouped from elsewhere, again I can only assume
with permission. The poorer sound quality could also be due to the fact that
thy may be second or 3rd gen tapes supplied as the originals are in the
hands of fans (some on here), and we are now lucky enough to have these on
CD direct from the "masters".

As to Brian's plight, I just hope I'll be OK if I am asked to supply any
rarer Charlie Vinyl to help with the bonus tracks! Seriously this is poor
and I do sympathise with him. Keep on at them!

Personally I'm happy to have these releases, and do share everyone's
frustrations at the quality of some of them (Glastonbury and Complete79
being the worst IMO), but if it wasn't Voiceprint it would be someone else
who would be releasing them. Remember the weird tapes were originally of a
similar ilk to these releases, led to arguments amongst band members,
and remember where these led to - Samurai and all those other sub standard
releases we do avoid. At least the Voiceprint stuff is tied up legally now I
believe.

My 2d worth over!

Steve

--
View Steve's Photos of Hawkwind Porcupine Tree and Isle of Wight
http://www.flickr.com/photos/venthawktree

Listen to Samples of Charlie's album here
http://www.musicline.de/player_flash/?pid=0604388334629&tid=0604388334629-0-0&type=product&musicloadurl=&site_variant=de
Then join the new Charlie Yahoo discussion group available to join here