HW: Alan Davey Website Ho Ho Ho

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Oct 19 14:22:50 EDT 2009

On 19 Oct 2009, at 10:55, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Dave Hall wrote:
>> So all in all, Alan yes you helped keep the band alive but on the
>> negative side for some periods you relegated them to being almost
>> a tribute act. Creativity was stifled and the band did not grow.
>> Proof of the pudding time for Dave Brock, is the next album going
>> to be any good?
>
> 	I think that's a bit much given how many albums Alan's produced
> solo and collaboratively outside Hawkwind since he left. Whether
> he's telling the truth about leaving because Dave wouldn't have the
> band record any of his songs or not, that he has the songs can't be
> denied, whereas, well, _Spacebrock_. Although the songs on TMTYL
> are a lot better than that, with the exception of `Greenback
> Massacre', which might tend to support your point otherwise.

I do, admittedly, wonder if by the time that the (massively drawn
out) period of recording TMTYL rolled around that Alan was thinking
that his days might be numbered (jump or push) and starting to wonder
how many songs he wanted to contribute ....  That said, I am also not
always sure Alan produces enough good songs fast enough on his own to
necessarily deliver the goods all the time.  I am willing to believe
that _Captured Rotation_ was largely songs that were not accepted for
inclusion on HW albums, but even that album follows the HW pattern of
a handful of cool songs separated by what is (to be brutally honest)
kind of random filler.  (Though the good stuff was about as good as
anything I might expect from anyone!).  I maintain the vague feeling
that Alan needs, if not a writing partner, additional collaborators
to cough stuff up.  (I am also not sure that a focused producer
wouldn't hurt.)  Alan's DIY approach turns out quite good results for
what it is, but I can help but think that another hand or two in some
capacity would provide a useful catalyst ....

Ah, well, random pre-lunch thoughts! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--