[Keith Henderson: OFF: Questions for techies]

Jerry G jguizar at STNY.RR.COM
Wed Oct 28 23:06:37 EDT 2009

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
> I originally used 500 GB and 750 GB Western Digital drives, but when
> my collection outgrew those I moved it to a LaCie 1TB drive, with
> abother LaCie 1TB drive as backup.  Of course, my iTunes library has
> all my music (or all the music I've so far ripped) saved in Apple
> Lossless format, so my drive-space requirements are quite a bit larger
> than they would be if I were storing only lossy AACs or MP3s.
   I almost bought one of the 1TB Western Digital MyBook's a while back
when they
were around $110. My procedure is kind of convoluted. I rip my CD's to
my hard
drive as soon as I get them, then convert to FLAC. I keep a copy on another
computer and when I get about 3.5 GB, I create an image with ImgBurn
then use
dvdisaster in RS02 mode to add error correction to the image before
burning it
to DVD (smaller size if I burn CD). I use the FLAC files for my source
when I
want to convert to another format like MP3. I probably have at least 4
copies
of all my albums (2 on different computers and 2 on DVD/CD). I routinely
check my DVD's and CD's at least once a year - not all at once. I think I
have about 500 DVD's/CD's right now. I check about 5-10 a day.