40th anniversary Gig

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 1 11:52:55 EDT 2009

On 01 Sep 2009, at 10:36, Theodore O Jackson wrote:
> Yep.  I think Buck splits his signal, runs one
> to the board and another to his stage amps,
> which are essentially monitors.  So, his stage
> amps aren't just for show--sound actually runs
> through them--but the preamps don't do anything
> to create the sound...

The last time I was gigging anywhere, I did essentially the same
thing, though with a SansAmp GT2 (instead of a POD), splitting the
signal out to the PA and also to the tiny, dinky (and borrowed!) bass
amp that served me as an onstage monitor! :)

> Yah, I have to admit I use modelers sometimes, although
> I've had glitches with them too.  Being I rarely play
> out these days, I have the luxury of leaving my
> tube rig at practice, so I can use anything I want,
> and the modelers stay home for noodling and figuring
> out stuff...

These days, everything I do is home-recording straight into the
computer.  I don't even have an amp of any kind, so it's all
modellers for me.  While it would be fun to mess around with a big
ol' tube amp and microphones, I don't think the neighbours (or
spouse!) would appreciate it, and the modellers sound just fine for
my purposes.  Actually, I've become kind of a fan of digital "re-
amping", since I can apply all kinds of different amp simulation to
the recorded dry signal after the fact.  I tend to just slap down a
basic guitar sound when recording and then futz around with the amp
modelling later, once I have a better idea of how the song is shaping
up.

Cheers,
Carl

--