Boc: BOC Cleveland Ohio Show

Theodore O Jackson tjackson at SYR.EDU
Tue Sep 1 12:48:09 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 11:44 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: Boc: BOC Cleveland Ohio Show

On 01 Sep 2009, at 09:32, Theodore O Jackson wrote:
> Those 2 CDs were great because
> the band resisted the urge to copy old stuff.  Then
> again, some of the new material was pretty lame too.
> I doubt half the songs on those 2 discs could have made
> the cut for a CD in the old days...

Yeah, HF and CotHM recalled the likes of RbN and CN more than ST or
FoUO!

Yah, I agree.  Hmm...I guess they aren't so great
after all!

 I just don't think that their hearts are in it.  Or Buck and
Eric by themselves can't turn out the necessary volume of good
songs.

That's been the problem since they told Al to
fout le camp.  He was their most prolific writer
and after they quit using Pearlman and Meltzer
for lyrics, the well kind of dried up.  Buck
can write great songs, but he takes his time
between writing them...

There were more songwriters in or associated with the band
back in the day, and taking the best from all of all them was
sufficient to produce some quite good albums quite a lot of the time.

No doubt.  Even when they used new outside sources
for writing, c.f. Heaven Forbid, the lyrics were
usually the downfall...

tj