40th anniversary Gig

Theodore O Jackson tjackson at SYR.EDU
Tue Sep 1 12:51:38 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 11:53 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: 40th anniversary Gig
> Yah, I have to admit I use modelers sometimes, although
> I've had glitches with them too.  Being I rarely play
> out these days, I have the luxury of leaving my
> tube rig at practice, so I can use anything I want,
> and the modelers stay home for noodling and figuring
> out stuff...

These days, everything I do is home-recording straight into the
computer.  I don't even have an amp of any kind, so it's all
modellers for me.  While it would be fun to mess around with a big
ol' tube amp and microphones, I don't think the neighbours (or
spouse!)

Hehe, we practice at the bass player's house and he's single,
so I can use a gig-worthy amp any time I want! But I still
don't want to render myself deaf, so I use a volume pedal
in the FX loop and it yields a result similar to an
attenuator.  Brings the crowd-slaying amp down to a
usable level...

would appreciate it, and the modellers sound just fine for
my purposes.  Actually, I've become kind of a fan of digital "re-
amping", since I can apply all kinds of different amp simulation to
the recorded dry signal after the fact.  I tend to just slap down a
basic guitar sound when recording and then futz around with the amp
modelling later, once I have a better idea of how the song is shaping
up.

Sounds like a great system...

tj