[mary: Re: 40th anniversary Gig]

mary maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Sep 16 05:43:50 EDT 2009

I observed how Chris did sound, and gave him my opinion if someone was too
low in the mix.  I like the idea about the ears.
Hope you're well.

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of SHLL (Scott Heller)
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:07 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: [mary: Re: 40th anniversary Gig]

> Hi Scott,
> Glad you had a great time.  Sorry the sound engineer didn't do his job
> as well as he should have.

<My take is that they did as well as they could have given the awkward
acoustics from all the wood around the place.

Well, they have rarely ever had really good sound people have they? Out of
all the Hawkwind gigs I have been to, only a few times has the sound really
been super where you could really hear all the instruments nicely. For
instance, based on hearing some of the recordings in 2009, you can almost
not hear niall at all or just barely at any of the gigs. Why is he up there
playing guitar if they don't put him in the front of house mix? I think a
good sound man, is attentive, watching the band closely, knows the songs,
raises the volume of a guitar player when he plays a solo, and brings him
back down to an audible level afterwards, same with synth solos, etc... Drum
eq was terrible, not due to the hall acoustics at Porchester but lack of
proper miking and soundchecking.. my 2 cents.. still the sound was tolerable
and upon hearing the recordings a really great show.

<It's a nice venue and I'd go again despite this. What we need are those
Hawkwind Ears that Steve talked about. I wonder <if Vulcan Ears could be
modified to the purpose with a Squeezy Bottle and some sticky-back plastic.

Where in this universe??

scott
FoFP

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.