HW: Alan Davey Website Ho Ho Ho

Dave Hall david.hall6800 at NTLWORLD.COM
Wed Sep 30 14:40:45 EDT 2009

Hi

Just been onto the site. Give me a break - frontman, is he jesting? I remember seeing Alan at his first gig at Stonehenge and it was great. However a bit odd because that year the big rumour was that Lemmy was coming out on the tour - so what we got was a clone. The following year was great - Black Sword, the biz. After this Alan seemed to descend into becoming even more of a Lemmy clone to the extent of copying his vocal style and the positioning of the mic - this was a bit of a bore really. To be honest a lot of the guys who came to the gigs with me complained there was nothing new and the band had become there own 70s tribute act - they stopped coming because of that. The trio years were crap - endless recycles and programmed synths - no soul, no spirit. Julian Cope described it well, they had gone into stasis. The high points over the years - the return of Simon House, Ron Tree and the Alien tour [Alan bounced him out the band I believe] - now Ron was a frontman. All the duff stuff can't be laid at Alan but as he was a prime driver he has to take some of the blame. What I can't take is the slavish devotion and copying of Lemmy, talk about stifling creativity and originality - 25 years of copying someone else is a bit sad. The last two gigs have been amongst the best I ever seen - what's more all me old mates have returned!
So all in all, Alan yes you helped keep the band alive but on the negative side for some periods you relegated them to being almost a tribute act. Creativity was stifled and the band did not grow. Proof of the pudding time for Dave Brock, is the next album going to be any good?
I have been to gigs on every tour from the late 70s (Hawkwind were the first band I saw), festivals, Stonehenge, Hawkestra, Hawkcon, Donnington and I have to say the band have been so great recently I can't wait to the next one.

Dave
PS Jury is still out on the present bass incumbent