Hawkwind Brew

MARYANN SULLIVAN maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Apr 13 10:18:08 EDT 2010

Hi
Carl,
I do remember a lot of takes in the studio, but that goes with the
territory.  When you have time, if you could email me the files, that would
work for me.  I'll be thinking of you at the Phish show.  Good luck with
your music.

Lots of love,

Mary
-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:12 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: Hawkwind Brew

On 12 Apr 2010, at 22:45 , MARYANN SULLIVAN wrote:
> If you were buzzing on beer, the music still sounded fine at the
> recording sessions.

Well, I think we were pretty sober when we went to the recording sessions!
(Perhaps too sober!  I remember the band's collective nerves contributing to
lots and lots of takes and re-takes!  Maybe we should have been more
laissez-faire .... :))

> I'd like to get a copy of Ossian's Ride at some point, if
> possible, it would bring back some really fond memories.

Well, I've still got the CD!  I've never put the material online because I
haven't ever gotten permission from all the band members -- or, basically,
I've never been able to usefully get in contact with "Tox" (who is nominally
a Facebook friend, but who seems basically inactive there, and not terribly
responsive to email, though I'm told his days of "toxicity" are behind him).

A couple of years ago, I did start re-recording one of the band's songs that
I had liked best, "Words to the Wind", and the re-recording (rather faster
and more Hawkwindy than the original Ossian's Ride version, though equally
more as I originally imagined it) is online here:
<http://www.carlaz.com/music/Words_to_the_Wind.mp3>.

Actually, I was listening to that again the other day, and I think I'm going
to start the re-recording process over, dropping the tuning another half
step.  Though I can hit some of those notes on a good day, with a following
wind, I certainly can't do so reliably, and I think it would make sense to
slacken the pressure there a bit.  Of course, what with new small babies
underfoot, it's rather hard to say how long that re-recording will take!
Though, when I do get around to it, I'll try to hit up Scott Heller to
contribute some synths. :)

However, as for the original OR recordings, I _do_ have them, and could
either email you sufficiently small MP3s, or put the lossless files online
in some accessible but not terribly public way.  (Or I could just say the
heck with trying to pry nominal permission out of Tox and just stick them up
there! ;) Tempting, really. :))

> I'm also going to a Phish concert, (my first), should
> be a fun time, next month.  I don't really know their music, what I've
heard
> sounds interesting.

Well, I'm a long time Phish fan, though I haven't been to a gig since about
1993 when they first started to get really big!  I really enjoyed seeing
them in small venues back in the day -- I thought they were really fun and
very tight.  My sense is that they are much looser now, though that may be
the size of the venue .... Hopefully, they are still fun, though! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson