BOC 1981

John Rennie hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Fri Feb 5 12:34:31 EST 2010

I think there has been a lot of bollocks talked about the incident. I
was there, it was pissing down with rain most of the day and it was
pretty obvious that water was getting into the sound system. The sound
was cutting out occasionally during Slade's set and got worse towards
the end of the set. BOC were just unlucky to on after the rain had had
time to give everything a good soaking.

There was a lot of frenzied activity before Whitesnake's set and
especially before AC/DC's set. I interpret this as the sound engineers
trying to fix/replace the soaked equipment rather than any malign
machinations.

JR

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On Behalf Of Mike Godwin
Sent: 05 February 2010 12:54
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: BOC 1981

* What a depressing insight into behind-the-scenes shenanigans by
festival organisers. I saw the Soft White Underbelly Show in Dunstable
just before the Donington fiasco, and, as mentioned in Geranious's
article, Albert turned up late, but gave a bravura display of drumming
on the later numbers in the set, especially on 'Veteran of the Psychic
Wars'. I don't think there was anything wrong with the sound system,
even when Rick Downey was playing the drums during the first few songs.

- Mike Godwin