OFF: the future is here

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Jul 2 09:08:08 EDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:41 AM, M Holmes wrote:

> Arin Komins writes:
>
>> I always wanted to know how teleporting beings managed to not teleport
>> themselves into other things.
>
> Including air. There's also be a vacuum pop whenever someone jaunted out
> of air.

Isn't this in fact what happens in Alfred Bester's _The Stars My Destination_ (where the process of teleportation is actually called "jaunting")?

I also dimly recall that in Bester's novel, to be able to jaunt you needed to be able to visualise precisely your destination.  Maybe that requirement is to address the objection of teleporting into other things?

Cheers,

Paul.