OFF: the future is here

mary ann sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Fri Jul 2 20:08:31 EDT 2010

The only problem with cars that drive themselves would be with my luck and
lack of skill with computers I'd end up somewhere I never intended.  I do
think a blind user friendly car may be designed in my life, but we already
have too many cars ruining our fragile ecosystem, so we need to focus on
making cars that are more eco-friendly, then get them to fly, navigate, or
whatever.  It's bad enough that there are so many cars being driven with
only 1 person.  Granted public transportation is a drag, and car pooling
isn't always practical, but if we're going to keep this world alive we need
to seriously examine our priorities. I would like to try driving a car
sometime, have driven boats,  That jet pack would be fun, but impractical,
we think the pollution is bad now?  Parents will tell their children in 100
years, or less, "I remember when you could actually look up and see open
sky." Thanks Mike, for keeping my situation in mind, along with all the
other blind folks whether they be really blind, or blind drunk.
Mary
-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of M Holmes
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 8:42 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF: the future is here

Arin Komins writes:

> I always wanted to know how teleporting beings managed to not teleport
> themselves into other things.

Including air. There's also be a vacuum pop whenever someone jaunted out of
air.

Though perhaps it'd work if whatever was in the two volumes was simply
exchanged.

But yeah, can't honestly see it ever happening Tomorrow People style.
Runs against physics rules like locality and superluminal information
ttransfer, as well as perhaps conservation of energy.  Something like a
Babylon 5 stargate might ultimately be possible if we can bend black holes
or superstrings to our will.

What I do expect to see in my lifetime, which could be of benefit to Mary
(and to the rest of us when we're drunk or just want a kip) is cars that
drive themselves.

FoFP

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.