OFF: the future is here

mary ann sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Fri Jul 2 20:24:52 EDT 2010

I haven't read that book in ages, I think it's about time to read it again.
I really enjoyed The Demolished Man, of course, with my interest in
telepathy.

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Paul Mather
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 9:08 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF: the future is here

On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:41 AM, M Holmes wrote:

> Arin Komins writes:
>
>> I always wanted to know how teleporting beings managed to not
>> teleport themselves into other things.
>
> Including air. There's also be a vacuum pop whenever someone jaunted
> out of air.

Isn't this in fact what happens in Alfred Bester's _The Stars My
Destination_ (where the process of teleportation is actually called
"jaunting")?

I also dimly recall that in Bester's novel, to be able to jaunt you needed
to be able to visualise precisely your destination.  Maybe that requirement
is to address the objection of teleporting into other things?

Cheers,

Paul.