OFF: the future is here

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sat Jul 3 09:03:25 EDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 4:32 PM, M Holmes wrote:

> Paul Mather writes:

>>> Including air. There's also be a vacuum pop whenever someone jaunted out
>>> of air.
>
>> Isn't this in fact what happens in Alfred Bester's _The Stars My
>> Destination_ (where the process of teleportation is actually called
>> "jaunting")?
>
> Cool! Must read that one. I think I've only read "Tiger Tiger" and that
> was damned good.

"Tiger! Tiger!" is another name under which "The Stars My Destination" was released.  Its main character is the memorable Gully Foyle.  The novel is said to be the original cyberpunk story.  It has been voted in many polls the "Best Science Fiction Novel of All Time."

Are you thinking of "The Demolished Man," a detective story revolving around committing a murder in a society where telepathy and mind reading are ubiquitous?  (It's another damned good story.)

Cheers,

Paul.