OFF: the future is here

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Jul 5 11:03:56 EDT 2010

On Jul 5, 2010, at 9:44 AM, M Holmes wrote:

> Paul Mather writes:
>
>> "Tiger! Tiger!" is another name under which "The Stars My Destination"
>> was released.  Its main character is the memorable Gully Foyle.  The
>> novel is said to be the original cyberpunk story.  It has been voted
>> in many polls the "Best Science Fiction Novel > of All Time."
>
> Hmmmm. Not ringing any bells.
>
>> Are you thinking of "The Demolished Man," a detective story revolving
>> around committing a murder in a society where telepathy and mind
>> reading are ubiquitous? (It's another damned good story.)
>
> Not sure. What I'm recalling was some kind of revenge story that starts
> with a spaceship being blown up.

"The Stars My Destination"/"Tiger! Tiger!" is basically a revenge story.  It starts with Gully Foyle marooned on a spaceship in an apparently hopeless situation.  When a potential rescue ship passes him by, he swears revenge on it and its occupants and whoever is behind them...

I've been on a Charles Stross binge lately, particularly his "Laundry" novels; great ripping yarns!  (James Bond meets nameless Lovecraftian horrors.)

Cheers,

Paul.