Membership, with or w/o its privileges (was Re: HW: Re: LOST in France?)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Jun 8 13:29:46 EDT 2010

On 08 Jun 2010, at 03:44, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> And what do you do with Stacia, who is listed as a band member in
> the sleeve of DFL and who can be heard on the BBC live set but
> never wrote anything for them, or Kris, who has been appearing live
> with HW for how long and has the occasional writing credit but is
> never listed as a member AFAIK? and so on.
> I thought when I drew that list up that I had a policy, which was,
> they must have done any two of: appear on stage with, get a writing
> credit from or be on record with Hawkwind. At that rate, however, I
> should have counted both Stacia and Kris, and I haven't, not that
> (again AFAIK) they've worked with anyone else subsequently.

Listing people as band members on the strength of having writing
credits on songs originally performed by the band seems like it goes
too far.  There are all sorts of people who get credits as
songwriters, perhaps even on a regular basis as part of a writing
team with a performing band-member, but I am not sure that makes them
a member of the given band .... in fact, I would say that it does
not. :)  Stacia though, is a more complex figure ....  I would be
inclined to include her as a "band member" largely on the strength of
being credited as a "band member" on albums.  (That her voice is
heard on the BBC live set doesn't hurt, but I think if you are listed
as a band member, then you should be regarded as a a band member,
regardless of other factors.  We can make space for "non-musical" or
"non-audio-generating" band members, I think.)

Perhaps criteria (wow, this is awesome geekery! :)) could include
both "appeared onstage as regular touring member (however briefly)
rather than as "guest" and/or "credited as constituent of band on
album credits (studio or live)"?

Of course, Hawkwind has had numerous dancers tour with the band over
the years -- but only Stacia got listed on albums as a member.  This,
I think, can qualify Stacia as a proper member (if "non-audio-
generating), but not the other dancers.

Likewise, Kris is never credited as a band member -- only as a song
writer.  So I think that keeps her from being a band member (for all
that she has appeared onstage with the band in regular capacities).

I guess I lean towards album credits as having the most weight,
followed by some sort of public recognition as a touring member.
(The awesome geekery continues ..... :)

Cheers,
Carl

--