HW: A new project for the List?

Ian Abrahams ianabrahams1 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri Sep 17 12:36:22 EDT 2010

________________________________
From: K
Still here, Keith!

________________________________
From: Keith Henderson <khenders64 at YAHOO.COM>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Fri, September 17, 2010 2:43:23 PM
Subject: Re: HW: A new project for the List?

FOFP said...

> Anyway, we thought it'd be fun to put together a set based
> on the
> Hawkwind Family Tree. All we need to do is put together an
> agreed set of
> 54 pictures and upload them to the website.
>
> We'd need to collect good pictures from fan collections so
> as to prevent
> any copyright disputes. So perhaps some here might
> volunteer their good piccies.

Well, nobody else seems to think so perhaps, but I think this is a great idea.
I always liked when we did list projects (anybody want to continue the HW Covers
All series?  There´s been a lot of new stuff since I did the Vols. 5-8)...plus
the old tapes 1-4 need to be digitized to CD/MP3...perhaps I can do that this
fall myself).  Too bad that people just aren´t as energized as in the old days
of the list.

Anyway, I thought about this, and drew up a rough draft of personnel to
include.  Ideas, comments, suggestions, errors of obmission, etc. welcome.

            Era 1          Era 2          Era 3          Era 4
Card        Hearts          Spades        Diamonds      Clubs

Ace        Turner          Lemmy          Calvert        Brock
King        Huwy            King          Davey          Chadwick
Queen      Stacia          Sam Fox        Wishart        Kris Tait
Jack        DAnderson      AShaw          Bainbridge    Dibs
10          Ollis          House          GBaker        RonTree
9          Dettmar        Blake          KHale          JStuart
8          DougSmith      MGriffin      DThompson      CRizz
7          Slattery        Rudolph        Dumpy          JRichards
6          Smeeton (LL)    Fulcher (BB)  Frenchy        Neil/Marie
5          DikMik          Swindells      PHayles        Kniveton
4          JHarrison      Powell        AAnderson      ABrown
3          DTaylor        BTawn          SBemand        Hone
2          Crimble        KingsleyWard  CDeamer        STaylor

Jokers      MMoorcock      MWright

Other possible names that haven´t been included here...
Jez Huggett
Tony Crerar
Trev Hughes
Doug Buckley
Roger Neville-Neil
Crum
Jim Lascko
Drachen Theaker (was he in HW?)
Fred Reeves
Chris/Mary Bruce
Colin Allen
Rob Heaton
Keef Barton
Rob Godwin (Griffin)
Marc Sperhawk
Rob Ayling (Voiceprint)
Ian Abrahams
Carol Clark
some of the other dancers, including current F pair and the excellent M/F pair
from c. 2004-2005 (whose names I do not know, but pictures should be available
from both sets)

Anyway, this is just a start.  I tried to group them according to era as
indicated, and then also try to group some by instrument or role for each set of
numbers, starting at Jack (bassists), with some obvious exceptions.  It´s hard
to do...some eras have lots of one thing, other eras lots of something
different.  But 5s and 9s are keyboardists, 7s guitarists, 6s visuals/behind the
scenes people.  The lower cards are just a random mix of people with short terms
or whatever.  Perhaps some of these names would be changed after discussion.
The aces just seem to have to be these four people, and the queens I put as all
women (hence, Sam Fox), and Simon King has to be a King natch.  Calvert doesn´t
match his group´s era classification, but someone had to be an anomaly here.

Maybe we should just abandon the idea of making each number card across the
suits be a particular instrument/role...it´s just not working all that good, and
some people end up too high/low in the order accordingly.  Discuss.

The big problem as I see it is...how to get all good quality photos, esp. if you
are not going to violate copyrights.  We can all contribute recent stuff, but
where are you going to find minor role players from the 80s like Clive Deamer,
except if you´ve been to a Portishead show in recent years?  And what about
Powell, Rudolph, BTawn, etc. etc.

Plus, are you going to mix promo head shots with stage shots, B&W with colour,
and most importantly, do all photos have to come from their days with HW?  I
mean, it is now easy to get shots of Slattery, DAnderson, Crimble, and Ollis,
with Space Ritual, but they are all 40 years older than they were when they were
in the band.  (And Dick Taylor played at Hawkfest, but again he doesn´t look
like he did in 1970...still plays pretty good though.)  I dunno...this project
will take some work...perhaps Ian Abrahams has some access to some photos from
the past that could be used.  Is he still here?

Just my thoughts...didn´t want the idea to die without some stronger
consideration...

Keith H. (Karlsruhe, DE)

P.S.  Was Steve Bemand the "frontman" for TOSH at Hawkfest this year?  You know,
he´s not bad...in fact, TOSH was dangerously close to being every bit as good as
Tim Blake´s Hawkwind the previous night. :)