HW: A new project for the List?

mary ann sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Sep 23 11:44:06 EDT 2010

Keith, You obviously put a lot of thought into this project.  I want to
thank you for keeping Chris (and me) in mind.  For Chris it was work, but a
labor of love, and we both said that the time we spent with Hawkwind, and
all the fans was 1 of the best times in our lives.

Many thanks,

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Keith Henderson
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 9:43 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: HW: A new project for the List?

FOFP said...

> Anyway, we thought it'd be fun to put together a set based on the
> Hawkwind Family Tree. All we need to do is put together an agreed set
> of
> 54 pictures and upload them to the website.
>
> We'd need to collect good pictures from fan collections so as to
> prevent any copyright disputes. So perhaps some here might volunteer
> their good piccies.

Well, nobody else seems to think so perhaps, but I think this is a great
idea.  I always liked when we did list projects (anybody want to continue
the HW Covers All series?  There´s been a lot of new stuff since I did the
Vols. 5-8)...plus the old tapes 1-4 need to be digitized to CD/MP3...perhaps
I can do that this fall myself).  Too bad that people just aren´t as
energized as in the old days of the list.

Anyway, I thought about this, and drew up a rough draft of personnel to
include.  Ideas, comments, suggestions, errors of obmission, etc. welcome.

            Era 1           Era 2          Era 3          Era 4
Card        Hearts          Spades         Diamonds       Clubs

Ace         Turner          Lemmy          Calvert        Brock
King        Huwy            King           Davey          Chadwick
Queen       Stacia          Sam Fox        Wishart        Kris Tait
Jack        DAnderson       AShaw          Bainbridge     Dibs
10          Ollis           House          GBaker         RonTree
9           Dettmar         Blake          KHale          JStuart
8           DougSmith       MGriffin       DThompson      CRizz
7           Slattery        Rudolph        Dumpy          JRichards
6           Smeeton (LL)    Fulcher (BB)   Frenchy        Neil/Marie
5           DikMik          Swindells      PHayles        Kniveton
4           JHarrison       Powell         AAnderson      ABrown
3           DTaylor         BTawn          SBemand        Hone
2           Crimble         KingsleyWard   CDeamer        STaylor

Jokers      MMoorcock       MWright

Other possible names that haven´t been included here...
Jez Huggett
Tony Crerar
Trev Hughes
Doug Buckley
Roger Neville-Neil
Crum
Jim Lascko
Drachen Theaker (was he in HW?)
Fred Reeves
Chris/Mary Bruce
Colin Allen
Rob Heaton
Keef Barton
Rob Godwin (Griffin)
Marc Sperhawk
Rob Ayling (Voiceprint)
Ian Abrahams
Carol Clark
some of the other dancers, including current F pair and the excellent M/F
pair from c. 2004-2005 (whose names I do not know, but pictures should be
available from both sets)

Anyway, this is just a start.  I tried to group them according to era as
indicated, and then also try to group some by instrument or role for each
set of numbers, starting at Jack (bassists), with some obvious exceptions.
It´s hard to do...some eras have lots of one thing, other eras lots of
something different.  But 5s and 9s are keyboardists, 7s guitarists, 6s
visuals/behind the scenes people.  The lower cards are just a random mix of
people with short terms or whatever.  Perhaps some of these names would be
changed after discussion.  The aces just seem to have to be these four
people, and the queens I put as all women (hence, Sam Fox), and Simon King
has to be a King natch.  Calvert doesn´t match his group´s era
classification, but someone had to be an anomaly here.

Maybe we should just abandon the idea of making each number card across the
suits be a particular instrument/role...it´s just not working all that good,
and some people end up too high/low in the order accordingly.  Discuss.

The big problem as I see it is...how to get all good quality photos, esp. if
you are not going to violate copyrights.  We can all contribute recent
stuff, but where are you going to find minor role players from the 80s like
Clive Deamer, except if you´ve been to a Portishead show in recent years?
And what about Powell, Rudolph, BTawn, etc. etc.

Plus, are you going to mix promo head shots with stage shots, B&W with
colour, and most importantly, do all photos have to come from their days
with HW?  I mean, it is now easy to get shots of Slattery, DAnderson,
Crimble, and Ollis, with Space Ritual, but they are all 40 years older than
they were when they were in the band.  (And Dick Taylor played at Hawkfest,
but again he doesn´t look like he did in 1970...still plays pretty good
though.)  I dunno...this project will take some work...perhaps Ian Abrahams
has some access to some photos from the past that could be used.  Is he
still here?

Just my thoughts...didn´t want the idea to die without some stronger
consideration...

Keith H. (Karlsruhe, DE)

P.S.  Was Steve Bemand the "frontman" for TOSH at Hawkfest this year?  You
know, he´s not bad...in fact, TOSH was dangerously close to being every bit
as good as Tim Blake´s Hawkwind the previous night. :)