Krankschaft April Update

SUBSCRIBE BOC-L Jamun jason_gregory at TALK21.COM
Sat Apr 2 10:24:00 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 21:49:27 +0800, Jonathan Smith <smithjm77x7 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>I can't understand the fashion for vinyl. Technology for real HD music has
>been around for years (SACD, DVD-A), and blu ray provides even better
>opportunities, without needing a special player, but people still want
>records. I know the scratches sound nice the and the fluff on the needle is
>fun, but why not re-introduce wax cylinders! :(

Its because very few people are buying the digital formats any more. Period.
Shops are going bust, trying to sell this stuff. And the ironic reason, is
that the "perfect" digital technology makes its "perfectly" rip-able. Once
that data is in binary ones and zeros perfect copies can be made of it. I
had to laugh at your blu ray comment. Because since day one, that the first
blu ray arrived on my doorstep, Professor_Y and myself set about to crack it
along with a number of online linux freaks. I think it took a couple of
weeks! Now all our "Blu Rays" are sitting on a hard drives and we watch them
using PC's. The same goes for DVD-A, and as for CDs well thats a joke. Those
dont even have value now. A guy gave me a copy of his 2TB disc the other day
containing thousands of CD rips. After a cursory glance I couldn't be
bothered copying any of them, because I also have thousands on my servers
and hard drives. You have to remember, dude, that there are some people who
have been connected with ultra fast DSL connections for years downloading
this stuff, off bit torrent etc. In fact the bandwidth and download
capability is increasing. A typical Flac rip now takes just a few minutes to
download. Using the next mobile technology it will takes seconds. I bought
the Krankshaft CD becuase I like to support them. I wouldn't buy the flac as
I could generate that off the CD myself.

We can have a debate later about why vinyl is better sound quality that CD etc.