Krankschaft April Update

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Sun Apr 3 18:05:37 EDT 2011

On 02 Apr 2011, at 08:49 , Jonathan Smith wrote:
> Great idea! I'll always buy the CDs, but lossless files are very practical
> (although the right to being able to re-download them is appreciated-- they
> do get lost sometimes). If *real HD files* (24 bit) were available, I would
> even prefer the files (covers for download would be good-- not that I ever
> really print them!).

I won't buy the CDs because the would be no local distribution, nor is local delivery from overseas so reliable that I would be inclined to chance it.  On the other hand, digital downloads arrive quickly and securely: we like!

> I can't understand the fashion for vinyl. Technology for real HD music has
> been around for years (SACD, DVD-A), and blu ray provides even better
> opportunities, without needing a special player, but people still want
> records. I know the scratches sound nice the and the fluff on the needle is
> fun, but why not re-introduce wax cylinders! :(

I think the vinyl thing is a strictly "kollektor" thing: part nostalgia perhaps, part exclusivity.  Plenty of hobbies have, after all, little practical value -- people do it because they do it.  Teens who have a particular passion for that kind of hobby will doubtless buy vinyl -- but there is little doubt that the average teen is not doing any such thing.  The average teen is probably torrenting a handful for dodgy MP3s which they listen to for a few weeks before never listening to again because they've torrented another handful of dodgy MP3s.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson