krankshaft format solution found

Jonathan Smith smithjm77x7 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 3 20:13:13 EDT 2011

People *are* listening to a wider range of music than ever before, despite
the big companies. As a listener, my musical life is greatly enhanced these
days. I used to be limited to a few LPs which you had heard too many times,
your friend's LPs and poor quality audio cassette recordings. Thank god
there were bargain bins and second hand shops.

Everyone who has come through the PC/ Internet explosion over the past few
years knows how to get hold of music without paying, but I have bought a lot
of music I would never have heard as well. Young people may or may not
know-- so many people buy from iTunes you wonder. You should be able listen
to music before you pay-- too many big bands produce rubbish because they
know they have the market.

I still quite like CDs as they are a real album and have some packaging to
look at and they are usually better quality than digital downloads. I have
too many now though-- its easier to find something on my hard drive but also
easier to lose completely.

Companies like Apple are very obstructive. They have cornered a market by
clever marketing and stealing of ideas from elsewhere (ironically one of the
iPods included controls stolen from a Asian company). They have sold the
idea of the MP3 player being their's and manage to make people buy from
iTunes at ridiculous prices. Their computers, whilst better than PCs, don't
even support Blu-Ray discs because they want to sell HD video from iTunes.

I think that the next innovations will probably come from China. They are
already rolling out a 4G phone network of their own. Their main search
engine, Baidu, actually contains an MP3 search on its home page, so selling
MP3s is hard and genuine copies of CDs/DVDs/BDs are hard to buy or tell from
copies. They will have to work out a way of selling entertainment, but doing
that for sake of American and Japanese companies would be pointless for
them.