krankshaft format solution found

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Apr 6 09:31:01 EDT 2011

On Apr 6, 2011, at 12:59 AM, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> As far as I know MKV (Matroska) are the most advanced (and open
> source) video files but most players lack the codecs to play them.

Matroska is a container format and so is a separate entity to the streams encoded therein.  A device could understand how to decode Matroska files without being able to play some or all of the streams if those streams used a codec unknown to the device.  (This is a problem that afflicts that other well-known container format, AVI.)

Having said that, I have a Samsung TV that plays MKV content just fine, though probably that's because the MKV files I play on it are encoded using well-known codecs that such hardware is known to support. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.