XBMC PVR support - was Mac Mini/XBMC - was krankshaft etc

John Rennie hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Thu Apr 7 13:11:09 EDT 2011

There isn't any PVR support in official versions of XBMC although
there are various experimental builds with various levels of PVR
support.

The development team tend to feel building PVR support into XBMC
would be nice, but given that we all do it for free and have to work
for a living as well, there are other more interesting things to be
getting on with. The general view is that the best option is to use a
separate PVR system like MythTV as Jamun mentions.

>From a purely personal point of view I use a Panasonic DVD-RAM based
PVR for the few times I want to record from live TV. Most of the
stuff I watch I download overnight from iPlayer or grab via
BitTorrent. It's more convenient and the quality seems better when
the programme is downloaded. MY DVD drive reads DVD-RAM disks so I
copy any TV recordings into my XBMC library and watch them via XBMC.

But in any case I'm far more interested in music than video and XBMC
is a wonderful way to organise the music collection. I hear all sorts
of claims about music quality. Well I've compared CDs played on my
Marantz CD-63 KI to the same CD ripped to FLAC and played on my Mac
Mini via XBMC, and I can't tell the difference. You could accuse me
of having cloth ears, but it's me, not you, sitting in my armchair
listening to my Hawkwind albums, and I'm a happy man :-)

JR