Using an iPad - was krankshaft format solution found

Arin Komins akomins at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Apr 11 16:11:03 EDT 2011

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

:Subject: Re: Using an iPad - was krankshaft format solution found
:
:On 11 Apr 2011, at 08:07 , Arin Komins wrote:
:> all the iPads suffer for file storage that isn't clouded,
:> whether that's SMB or otherwise.
:
:Well, to be sure, I couldn't cram my whole 100GBish digital library onto the iPad, but just throwing on stuff I want/need as I go, I'm still a long way from filling its almost 60GB capacity.  I expect storage space -- clouded or local -- to grow perhaps as fast as I can fill it.

Well, I'm more thinking of Apple's basic design: where they don't even
have a "Save as" feature in the damn web browser.  Yeah, there's lots of
ways of bypassing that, but it certainly shows you that Apple really
doesn't believe in local storage much anymore :-(

(something I've bemoaned in recent iPods, for instance.  Never enough damn
space!!!)

I'm fully expecting the next gen iPods to try to pull off cloud only, with
some laughably small amount of local storage.

Thx,

Arin
Arin Komins			       	      akomins at uchicago.edu
Solutions Architecture Consultant
University of Chicago/IT Services/ITPD	        tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #409, Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559