Hawklords Barney Bubbles Memorial Concert, DVD Review

Jonathan Smith smithjm77x7 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 18 02:29:27 EDT 2011

OK-- this the perspective of someone who forked out *20 quid* for the DVD. I
couldn't say it was worth the money, but I should have known better as I
have heard the bootlegs beforehand.

I'd give it more like 4-5/10. The lack of effort and practise that's gone
into it is just too obvious. The selection is tracks is uninspired-- what
happened to "Shot Down in the Night", Steve Swindell's only claim to fame?
Where are the actual *Hawklords* numbers? Ron Tree handles vocals better
than Nik which is a bonus (he does a fair imitation of Robert Calvert).
Where are all the Ron Tree alien numbers and Alan Davey's too? Space Ritual
was far better.

The sound quality is not too bad. The video-- I really couldn't watch it
all-- what is there to see? An audio CD would have been better.

Don't get me wrong. I like some of Alan Davey's solo work but "Last Wish" is
very good-- Bridget Wishart gets better and better and Louis Davey's album
is good too.