OFF: Krankschaft April Update

Jamun jason_gregory at TALK21.COM
Thu Apr 21 18:51:39 EDT 2011

The irony of todays music business is that it is very easy to make music
(home studios) and to market it (myspace, facebook etc). BUT. It is nearly
impossible to sell it for real cash. IMO, real cash is in the thousands not
hundreds etc. IMO, alot of bands get caught in this trap. They make music,
stick it on a web site and offer payment using paypal etc. Then a trickle of
orders arrive and the band makes basically nothing. This is especially true
in marginal markets such as Space Rock etc. But, there is another market out
there and thats the 40-50 year old, with money who is reinventing his/her
youth. These are jaded people who dont download music and prefer the sleeve
and the feel of vinyl. There is a ton of vinyl shops opening in Munich. I
was in my supermarket the other day and a dude (he was 50) walked in with a
re-press of  Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruit". I told him it was one of my
favorite albums and asked him where he got it from. He said the new vinyl
only shop down the road. If I want I can download any band for free off the
pirate bay etc, but having a hard drive full of music doesn't cut it for me.