[Hawkwind] Hawkwind Sheffield - Manchester et al

strobridge jill jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Fri Dec 9 20:49:40 EST 2011

Sheesh - I've decided I hate Manchester.  The Hotel room window didn't
close (though in fairness they changed it and I now have a room with a
4-poster bed) I had the worst Italian meal (how much wrong can you do to a
lasagne and green salad - let me tell you.....) I've ever eaten.  It took 3
attempts to find the pub.  It poured torrents of wet sleet while walking
down there and the small venue was heavily crowded!   But apart from that
the band were excellent and as others have said seem to be playing really
well together.

Here's a partial set list - I'm sure I'm missing stuff and have got some
wrong but others can fill in the gaps or amend:

Sonic Attack
Better Believe It / a Space Time song segue / Better Believe It
<lots of skeleton dancing images in this section - excellent start>
A ?new spoken/song about War Dreams and Revolution <quite powerful with
word sequences flashed on the screen "fnord" type words for those
who recognise that concept(!) >
An Industrial sounding intro leading into another new spoken/song - the
images were from the video on the Mission Control page so I wonder if it
was perhaps Footsteps of the Great One?  <needs a recording to confirm this>
Another new one  which, I think, might be called something like Hill of
?Years
Warriors
Angels of Life/Death - enjoyed this one with plenty of drive and energy and
a really nice conclusion
Prometheus
Magnu
Tide of the Century - which I thought was absolutely beautiful - nice
instrumental intro and a good strong clear vocal (couldn't see who) - in
all a well presented track
Assassins - with a long, long indy disco drum set <a bit too long for my
liking but others enjoyed it - and done by some electronic drum kit thingy
rather than by Richard> in the middle section
Sentinal
Silver Machine finshed the set
Encores: Psycadelic Warlords <the only one in  Sheffield>
Spirit of the the Age <greeted with huge enthusiasm by the Manchester
audience>

So (apart from the dreadful DJ in the pub afterwards) I'm in a much
improved mood.

cheers
Jill