(OFF) OMG USA improving???

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Thu Dec 15 05:43:43 EST 2011

On 15/12/2011 09:58, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> It *was* great publicity for Clarkson-- the 'controversy' may even have
> been intended. In context or not, as a friend of Cameron, the remark likely
> reflected his opinions, although I don't mean he actually wanted to shoot
> anybody.

There are two Jeremy Clarksons. One is the guy on Top Gear and the
column writer in the comics. That Jeremy Clarkson would line up the
entire membership of Greenpeace against a wall and shoot them from a
sports car moving at 160mph (he'd also shoot anyone who wants to measure
this in kph).

That Jeremy Clarkson is a character played by a chap also called Jeremy
Clarkson. The normal downside of one's stage name being the same as
one's real namee is that it confuses people. However the peculiar nature
of Clarkson's act and target market actually requires some such
confusion because part of the joke is that people aren't permitted to
know whether or not the real Jeremy Clarkson thinks the same way as his
stage character. Thus he can say "Let's shoot all the public workers"
while winking at those who believe they're in the know, but aren't quite
sure. The joke would fail were people sure and, because he uses
variations of the joke again and again as part of his brand of
entertainment, he must maintain doubt by, as it were, speaking in
character when not in fact in character.

As it happens I know someone who knows the man, and he's pretty OCD
about recycling.

> As you say, misjudging controversial remarks does go with the job.

Yup. The media will have moved on by the weekend if they haven't already.

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.