Space Ritual London 25 Feb, 2011

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Feb 28 08:44:45 EST 2011

On 28 Feb 2011, at 06:22 , Elipxr5 wrote:
> Hi. This is a Pal Region Free DVD. It will not play on most NTSC DVD players or NTSC TVs. I don't think this will play for Mike anywhere but on his computer with his set up. I am in the states and the DVD would not play over my equipment, but I ripped myself an NTSC burn from the DVD using Mac the ripper software, and it came out perfectly. You would probably need a multi standard player or the ability to burn an NTSC copy on a computer to really enjoy this on a full size monitor in the U.S. Its well worth it though.

Ah, it had not occurred to me that, of course, I have always had multi-region DVD players, and it is possible that DVD players that are region-locked may also have their PAL v NTSC decoding software locked.  (I am pretty sure that is all handled in software; I can't imagine DVD-player manufacturers bucking the extra expense of producing models with different hardware!)

Perhaps the best I can do is confirm that my multi-region DVD players in both the UK (PAL, Region 2) and South America (NTSC, Region 4) have happily played my DVDs regardless of their various countries of origin.

Cheers,
Carl

PS - I have also sometimes done rips for use on non-multi-region machines using Mac the Ripper, reburning with Toast, and that works fine, too.

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
http://www.carlaz.com/