New Monster Magnet is really good

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Jan 28 09:39:54 EST 2011

On 22 Jan 2011, at 13:05 , Steve Swann wrote:
> "Mastermind"
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sBGizHANUo
> It's just what I want from MM: mid-tempo, sonorous, smash-your-head-in
> heavy.  Hot damn, I think it's the best thing I've heard from them since the
> Superjudge era...!  Me like!

Yeah, rather against my expectations at this point, the new MM is actually pretty good.  OK, I think I still reserve my top accolades for Superjudge as a whole, and "Negasonic/Dopes" for songs -- but the new Mastermind album is pretty strong and probably deserves the title of "most consistently good album since Superjudge".  (Not that there is anyone left from those days in the band besides Dave; Ed played on the new album, but quit the band at the start of the tour.  Still, I guess MM has always been a Dave-thing, so as long as he can find some players to execute his vision, MM will be MM.)

If I have a complaint with the new album, it's that its sound is a bit "garagy", while I like the "sludgier" sound of SJ or Dopes.  But, hey!

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson