Article in the Grauniad about Wilhelm Reich and Orgone Accumulators

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jul 11 05:33:16 EDT 2011

On 10/07/2011 06:42, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> There is probably more truth in one of Reich's book's than any issue of any
> newspaper! ;) Why else burn his books?

I've been around censorship fights a long time now. My gut feeling on
this one is that there'd be one guy who was very religious and who saw
Reich's sex and anarchy ideas taking off amongst the Bohemians. He'd see
that as a threat to his ideal of the US and would use his position
(possibly, but not necessarily, within the FBI or FDA) to have people in
those organisations pursue Reich.

Essentially reich fired some of the first shots in the "Culture Wars"
which are being conducted in the uS today around such issues as
homosexual marriage. Someone rich or powerful noticed and had Reich's
books burned and Reich hounded into prison and death.

The great irony is that it was precisely the outcome he'd had to flee
Europe's fascists to avoid.

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.