Aylesbury

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Tue Jun 14 11:49:20 EDT 2011

On Sun, 29 May 2011, Martin Hutchby wrote:

> Just an update -Hawkwind were awesome in Aylesbury last night  - a real
> return to form.

 	Meh, I should have gone, but I couldn't see how I was going to get
back from Aylesbury if I did. I went to see Bruise in London instead,
and they were excellent, perhaps the best I've seen them, and they did do
`Silver Machine' as they occasionally do, but I might still rather have
seen the real thing if I could have done.

 	I did go and see Here'n'Now the previous night, though, as I said
last post. That was at the Borderline off Oxford Street, which is a good
venue usually except for the fact that people coming in and out have to
pass in front of the stage. Support was an outfit called Lunar Dunes, who
are probably one of a kind. They were a six-piece: an under-stated
guitarist doing occasional lead, a guy working keyboards and a Macbook
full of samples, a drummer, a vocalist and switch doctrix whom I was told
was ex-Cornershop, a bassist and a harpist. Yes, a harpist: a huge and
very ornate orchestral-size harp, played through a line of about six
pedals by a small lissom blonde woman. The pedals gave it a very staccato
metallic sound and she played it as a lead instrument, sometimes a bit
like a Spanish guitar sounds and at other times as only a harp could. She
strummed it sometimes, which surely hurts.

 	The general pattern of performance was that they would start with
a backing sample, sometimes just synth swoosh but usually with some
non-Western percussion in too, the drummer would lock in and then the rest
would weave around. The vocalist sometimes had three different boxes I
think, one of which was effects for her own vocals running on only one of
her two mikes, one of which was a sampler running off the stage mixer, so
that she could capture people's output and loop them or effect them (like
Del in _Space Ritual_) and the third of which was a sort of touch-pad
theremin affair, which made twittery noises as it was rubbed. So she kept
herself busy, though her actual vocals were often just percussive breaths
or gasps which basically vanished in the mix. I thought she came over very
nervous, which seemed weird for a frontwoman such as she effectively was.

 	Overall, the band were very impressive to watch - you might expect
me to have spent all the time watching the harpist but the band kept
distracting me, which is probably a good sign - but they were very
restricted by the use of samples. I couldn't work out if they were timed
backing tracks or just loops; certainly there were two occasions when the
guitarist had been coaxed out of his shell and everything at last seemed
to be building up to some kind of take-off and then they stopped, which
made me think that they might only have so much time per track. The
guitarist was quite frustrating in fact; he clearly had some chops but
didn't want to hog the spotlight, so he'd do sixteen bars and then step
back just as he was wearing into the break. And the drummer could fairly
have been described as the band's anchor; without him they could not have
improvised as much as their frontwoman claimed they were, but he was also
holding them to one rhythm throughout each track, in which of course he
was partly restricted by the samples. I figured that this was not going to
be something that enthralled me on CD, though I'd certainly go and *see*
them again.

 	Here'n'Now, however, were absolute monsters. There was no Steffi,
which alarmed me slightly, I don't know why he's gone, but the guy they
had was perfectly good. Keyboards and what would have been Steffi's vocals
were being contributed by someone else I didn't recognise, apparently
ex-Kangaroo Moon, and the drummer was new too since last I'd seen them so
the only constant factor was Keith da Missile Bass, but that is some
constant. He was himself in full force, and my only regret about the gig
as a whole was that again, the PA wasn't up to what was being put through
it, and Keith's vocals especially were swamped in white-noise feedback. I
took much too long to recognise `Opium for the People' as a result and I'm
not sure how much else they played I would have recognised even if I knew
more of their stuff, but they did open with `Floating Anarchy' which is
always good to hear. And they were *loud* and they were *fast* and they
were spacy and tremendous. The absence of Steffi actually balanced the
band out a bit; with no obvious lead player to front them the whole band
became equal contributors and the overall effect was a swirling cauldron
of bottom-heavy energy. For a few tracks, too, they were joined by Angie
who dances for Space Ritual and ICU. Her costumes this night, for all that
they've come under fire here before, were splendid, and there is no doubt
that she can dance, and she was properly into the music, too, she wasn't
holding back. When things were at their most hectic she was almost like a
fifth instrument playing on the eyes instead of the ears, definitely part
of the overall rhythm and not just an ornament. I felt properly wrung-out
when they finished, but would have cheerfully had more, and I wasn't the
only one; there was plenty of shouting for a second encore, though it was
not to be. So, that was pretty good then. Maybe I wouldn't have been in
shape to enjoy Hawkwind the next day anyway! Yours all,
 							 Jon

--
"It's ridiculous, because everybody's coloured or you wouldn't be able
 	   to see them." (Captain Beefheart on racism, 1974)
    Jon Jarrett, Oxford, UK      jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk