(OFF) Re: WOTEOT master tapes (was Re: Jamun & Spacerocktrading intro)

lucidsound lucidsound at IC24.NET
Thu Mar 10 10:22:01 EST 2011

Having just played both the Dojo and Griffin releases, I can confirm the
Dojo has the correct full-length version of Kings Of Speed, while the
Griffin has the shortened single version.

One other difference is The Wizard Blew His Horn, which has the start faded
in on the Dojo version, possibly to remove some unwanted noise, whilst the
Griffin has the full version.

Listening to both discs alternately, the sonic difference is considerable,
even on just the opening bars of Assault and Battery.  The Dojo has a more
mid-range presence, the mellotron strings are more pronounced and forward.
Switching to the Griffin, the strings are further back in the mix while the
bass guitar is deeper, almost artifically so. Stereo seperation is noticably
better. The hi-hats are much clearer on the Griffin and have more top-end
extension than the Dojo release.

For fun I then thought I'd dig out my first-press UK vinyl copy.  Listening
to Opa-Loka, the Dojo sounds harsh and compressed compared to the vinyl and
Griffin CD.  In fact the last two were surprisingly close, so much so that
at times I forgot which one I was listening to. Overall, the vinyl has a
darker sound, the Griffin CD has more top-end extension and detail.

So there you go.  If and when Atomhenge release ther version of it, I look
forward to comparing it, but for now, looks like the Griffin has the edge.