OFF: Re: "Kyuss Lives"

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Mon May 2 06:38:10 EDT 2011

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Steve Swann wrote:
> And, I think the reason that song you linked sounds pretty shitty for a
> rendition of Gardenia is because it's *not* Gardenia....  I mean, tell me
> that there's anything to complain about this version of Gardenia, recorded
> on the current tour:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zqXy85r4M

 	Er... the recording is far too clear for it to have been anywhere
near loud enough? :-) But no, I have to admit, that's pretty much
marvellous, though the guitarist is nothing like as imaginative or melodic
as Josh Homme for all that. I get the idea he would be happier with a
faster time signature so that his timing wouldn't matter quite so much. I
guess they practised since the one I linked to! (That *is* `Gardenia', I'm
afraid, or at least it is by halfway through when I started to recognise
it.)

> And I can't stop listening to this one:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gTQpa-O14

 	Goddammit, guitar guy, tune down! But maybe this is a better
indication of what *this* band actually sounds like and where they might
go from here?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Steve Swann wrote:
> One last point regarding missing members, although I also have the greatest
> admiration for Scott Reeder, Nick Oliveri is no slouch and was in fact an
> original member.

 	Oh, no, here I've been misunderstood I think. I agree that Nick is
an excellent bass-player, though again I'd have thought his natural speed
was rather higher; I saw QotSA twice while he was still on board and he
made the performances, massive energy that doesn't really show here. My
point was just that Scott Reeder being the bass-player on _Welcome to Sky
Valley_, if one wanted the degree of _Doremi_ clonery evident on
that album from someone--which I think we do, right?--then not having him
makes that less likely.

 	I'll be very interested to see what the *new* material that comes
out of this line-up sounds like. All of the people involved except maybe
Garcia have gone some way from the old Kyuss drone-zone since they left
the band. Brant Bjork's stuff is either calmer or poppier, Oliveri is
definitely stoner-punk in his own element, and John Garcia... will be John
Garcia whatever is happening around him. So it needn't be like old Kyuss,
in fact I think that might be quite unlikely. I'd expect something more
like Mondo Generator with a steadier rhythm section, which could be very
good but quite aggressive. That version of `Supa Scoopa and Mighty Scoop'
is sort of tending that way. Could be interesting. Yours,
 							  Jon

ObCassetteBeforeThatHappened: Galliano - _The Plot Thickens_
--
"It's ridiculous, because everybody's coloured or you wouldn't be able
 	   to see them." (Captain Beefheart on racism, 1974)
    Jon Jarrett, Oxford, UK      jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk