HW) new version of Green Finned Demon for download

Steve Youles youless at COX.NET
Fri Sep 16 02:51:50 EDT 2011

All right, I'll have a go.

The opening ASDIC (Sonar) pulse and wave effects are from the original, and
then a keening synth voice comes in rides over layers of synth -breathy
female voice, and a rising/falling chordal wash- with the vocals kicking off
maybe eight bars into it.  These are multitracked Brock.  The pace is perhaps
a touch slower than the (IMHO) definitive version, from Earth Ritual.  The
drums are better recorded, arranged and perfectly placed in the mix; plus we
have lashings of lead guitar which also seem to be Brock's, sometimes
underpinning the vocals and between them, soloing languidly and soulfully.

The bass sounds like what used to be described as "bass pedals", i.e.
keyboard-originated.  There doesn't seem to be any rhythm guitar going on,
and the sonar blip with accompanying original effects are mixed lower than
before.  The overall effect is a more mellow rendition, maybe losing something
of the plaintive, yearning quality of the original.  (By which I mean the Earth
Ritual version, though it wasn't actually the original, was it.)

The ending is discordant but not completely chaotic...what would be more in
keeping with the mellow character of the track is that it should fade out on a
wash of synths with the guitar doing seagull impressions.  But Hawkwind
always like to chuck in a bit of the dark side.

Cheers

Steve