HW) new version of Green Finned Demon for download

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Sun Sep 18 18:27:21 EDT 2011

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Jonathan Smith wrote:
> The cause seems OK to me, better than previous ideas about the Dalai Lama.
> You can have a look: http://www.seashepherd.org/uk/uk.html

 	I have done, in fact, but I also know a bit about this lot because
of a presentation a colleague who'd been studying them as part of a
politics dissertation gave a while back.

> There are a lot of charities out there, but anything that saves the
> cetaceans has to be good.

 	I am all for saving the cetaceans, don't get me wrong. But Sea
Shepherd are even more confrontational than Greenpeace in the eighties
(and arguably better at it). They are not, by themselves, going to stop
whaling, their aim is to keep it sufficiently high-profile that
governments act. It's government action, and enforcement of current rules,
that's needed, and supporting Sea Shepherd seems to me a bit like paying
someone to go and break things so that everyone agrees we need more
police; it may well work, maybe it's even necessary but if it is then
there are much bigger things wrong. That's my issue with it; if they need
to exist, shouldn't we do something about *that*? But of coure maybe `we'
can't, whereas we can support this lot... and I go back and forth, which
is why I was asking if the music made a difference. Thanks for the
feedback on that too! Yours,
 			     Jon

--
"It's ridiculous, because everybody's coloured or you wouldn't be able
 	   to see them." (Captain Beefheart on racism, 1974)
    Jon Jarrett, Oxford, UK      jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk