BOC 2012

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Jul 12 11:08:03 EDT 2012

On 12 Jul 2012, at 00:25 , Jason C. Hillenburg wrote:
> "It's all about the passion, especially after you've already realized your dreams."
> Nicely put. The musical artists whom I admire most are those who are still recording,
> still writing, believing that their best work is front of them, not behind them.

That's a good approach to take on the 1st album or the 50th. :)  Hey, Motörhead may be doing pretty much the same thing they-ve always been doing, but they continue to do it very well.  I actually like a lot of the recent Iron Maiden and the Bruce Dickinson solo albums (those, admittedly, now from 10-15 years ago!) better than the band's "classic" period.  My semi-obscure faves, Amorphis, unexpectedly resurrected themselves after a dodgy patch 10-12 years ago (when I had pretty much given up on them) and have since produce a string of albums which I now (with increasingly less grudgingness!) will admit to liking better than their initial "classic" albums of the early '90s.

The new doesn't always end up killing me: the recent Ian Anderson TAAB2 is better than the last few relatively insipid Tull albums (now themselves pretty old!) but it didn't instantly blow me away either; it was a good effort, though, and a step in the right direction.  Latter-day/current Hawkwind has been, at best IMO, pretty hit or miss (with perhaps more miss, and the hits not that forceful, but, well, whatever).  I still like The Beatles, but the relatively little in the solo stuff (which started coming before I was born, I think, if not by much) does much for me. ;)

But people who go out with the the intention "We're gonna make something AWESOME" (for whatever definition of "AWESOME") surely have a much better chance of achieving it than those without that intention. :)

> I always had the feeling that Tornado on the Tracks was a happy accident, an
> introduction of sorts, and we'd be hearing more in time.

And I am hoping we will! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--