BOC 2012

Ralph kirthgersen at HOTMAIL.CO.UK
Fri Jul 13 10:11:32 EDT 2012

> For all that Blue Coupe seems like fun for all involved, on stage or front of stage, I'm not sure its designed to produce something new that blows our socks off.

Can I suggest that anyone who doesn't have/hasn't heard "Tornado on the Tracks" yet pop over to CDBaby check this disk out. It's got some bloody great songs on it and the more people who support this band, the greater the chance they'll continue to attempt to "blow our socks off" in the future.

For me, Blue Coupe had a confused/confusing genesis - like BDS before them, the outer shell was an Alice/BOC covers band with an inner core of brimming creativity straining to burst out with new material, but constrained by audience expectations - and their own promotional stance of "we're two-thirds BOC, one third ACG" - that they must feel like they're COMPELLED to trot out DFTR and Schools Out etc at the live gigs.

It's a difficult circle to square - they feel the need to trade on their past to promote their future, but how do they - at the same time - break out from that and show that they're not JUST a bloody covers band...? Calling themselves "Blue Coupe" didn't help...

What WILL surely help will be the 2nd CD and I can't wait to hear it. Really enjoyed Joe's new solo LP (Tales from the Island) - again, if you haven't heard it yet, check it out!! - and there's also a new X Brothers CD about to raise its head above the digital parapet, so all-in-all, it's a going to be a Bouchard-tastic summer.

Compare/contrast that with BOC's output...