Hawkwind in Edinburgh 2nd June

Mick Crook m.j.crook at TALK21.COM
Sun Jun 3 09:55:43 EDT 2012

Thanks Jill - a great review!!

Mick

________________________________
From: strobridge jill <jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Sunday, 3 June 2012, 1:31
Subject: Hawkwind in Edinburgh 2nd June

That was awesome - I so enjoyed that show!  One of the best segues I
have heard them do in a long long time Assault and Battery / Golden
Void (yes!) / Where Are They Now / Damnation Alley - I couldn't have
hoped for better.  It was a Hawkwind sound to sink into, let it flow
all around and transport me somewhere wonderful - it was that good
{and I came to the gig completely sober!}.  The sound was excellent
and the light show majestic.  Well done to everyone!    And as for
those who decided this time around that maybe they wouldn't go to a
show because it was going to be too boring and predictable - what are
you thinking of?!  Wake Up....Smell Coffee....Just Go!    Ok some of
the earlier tracks are maybe (with notable exceptions) not at the
tempo or with the variations in texture you might wish of a Hawkwind
track but such things take time to bed in and there are some really
powerful songs developing - especially Seasons which is an
extraordinary combination of sound and image.  A lot of thought looks
to have gone into its production and the results are quite haunting in
a way.  Prometheus is a good track (though my personal preference is
Sentinal), Southern Cross is a very beautiful lyrical synth and
keyboard piece with some hypnotic visuals.  Sonic Attack a reminder
of how the spoken voice alone, if intelligently combined, harmonised
and crafted can have a mesmerising effect.    The Hassan I Sahba segue
shows how tracks evolve since the mid-rave bit now has a frequent
change in beat and enough of an Eastern flavour with a lovely clear
sequence of Space Is Their Palestine to keep it interesting so it
really does work - it was a bit too long and repetitive in earlier
productions.  The opening sequence of Awakening into You'd Better
Believe It is an excellent start and if the tempo drops a bit after
that - just be patient!  There is more to come - this IS Hawkwind
after all.

Enjoy
Jill