HW: Hawkwind Onward

Stewartbas at AOL.COM Stewartbas at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 7 14:06:23 EDT 2012

Let's have another fan T shirt design....still got mine but, its more of a
bra than a t shirt, fat fuck that i've turned into, and a baldy fat fuck to
 boot:(

bill s

In a message dated 6/7/2012 1:19:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
khenders64 at YAHOO.COM writes:

FoFP  iterated...

> Open the whole of the 80's up for a poll of tracks to  see
> which ones the fans would love to see done over. It'd be
>  fairly easy to run via the interweb (hell, we did this sort
> of thing  ourselves 20 years ago when software was a lot less
> sophisticated - so  I suspect we could organise it fairly
> straightforwardly).

I  agree with Carl on this...new albums should primarily be for the debut
of  truly new material.  Do the voting thing for the next tour.  You  know,
like Dave Law (?) did five yrs. ago or so, when we voted for those four
tracks to hear on the next tour.  And then they went and played all four
instead of just one!  Which was awesome, esp. since I was there to see a  couple
of those gigs.  Let's do that again!

If they redo a bunch  of tracks, might as well do it like the Scorpions'
Comeblack thingy, do the  WHOLE album of old tracks/covers, so that fans can
decide if they really want  that at all, or just want new mat'l.  Constantly
'patching' albums short  on new songs with remakes might eventually cause
lots of borderline fans to  tune out.  Although it's been going on so long
now, hard to imagine that  wouldn't have already reached equilibrium at this
point.

Anyway, what  about a vote to determine what *other* artists' songs that
Hawkwind could  cover?  You know, the band has done *very* few covers at all
over the  many decades.  Let's see, Cymballine, Interstellar OD, Gimme
Shelter, and  that's just about it really.  OK, playing Arthur's tunes doesn't
really  count, nor Swindells' track (SDITN) nor LH & New Jerusalem.  I mean,
"true" covers from outside the band.  Oh, wait, they used to play Velvet
Underground (I'm Waiting for the Man) in the late 70s, didn't they?  I  think
it was a song that either Magic Muscle or High Tide used to play in  their
set (can't remember which), and then either Simon or Ade brought that  along,
right?

Regardless, it's the "thing" these days to do ridiculous  numbers of
tribute albums (*cough* Brian Pererra *cough*) to pad one's label's  profile, so
why not HW/Voiceprint get in on the action?

So here's my  vote, and it has a Hawkwind connection natch.  (I think I've
made this  argument before years ago):

Pretty Things - Old Man Going
and get  Dick Taylor to guest on it.

I think HW could do great things with this  track.

(Has anybody heard the version on "Sorrow's Children," the  tribute to SF
Sorrow that has already been done?  Worth a  listen?)

Anybody else have an idea?  Maybe a BOC song?  (Not  Black Blade, too
bloody obvious.)

Keith

ObCD/online listening:  Fungal Abyss - Bardo Abgrund Temple (@ Bandcamp)
NP: Lacuna Coil - Dark  Adrenaline