My Review: Avengers Assemble

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Tue May 1 09:24:55 EDT 2012

I'll skip any spoilers that you couldn't get out of watching the trailers.

I've been waiting for this movie since I was seven years old. So a
little too close to five decades than I might have hoped back then.
You'd imagine that'd make me generous, but the opposite is closer to the
truth: I figured if there'd be one movie that Hollywood would find it
easy to screw up, it was this one. They have form too: the X-men movies
and the Fantastic Four films.

Leaving aside Doctor Who, where so much of the movie was spent acquiring
him a hat, a scarf, and an assistant to actually weave in a plot, solo
superhero movies mostly managed to tell a good story. Spiderman 1 worked
very well, though the sequels didn't live up to the promise. Daredevil,
while incorporating some wooden acting, told a story too. X-Men Origins
of Wolverine managed far better than the ensemble movies to tell a good
tale.

Ensemble movies on the other hand haven't had a good record. Fantastic
Four spent too much time setting up the characters and X-men spent too
much time setting up the better characters, Xavier and Magneto,  who
unfortunately didn't happen, strictly speaking, to be X-men.

Marvel decided to get around this origins problem by taking the main
four Avengers and getting their origin stories out in prequel movies.
They decided that the first Hulk movie was too arty, and rebooted it
with a different actor. Then the new actor had a spat with Hollywood and
refused his part in Avengers Assemble - certainly making for a potential
Strike One.

Iron Man 1 & 2 were much more popular with audiences, probably because
Robert Downey Junior very much made the part his own. Thor managed a
partly-amusing fish-out-of-water tale of a demigod stranded on Earth and
was used to introduce Avengers Bad Guy #1 Loki: Thor's "He's adopted"
brother. Finally, in deciding to play Captain America as the
straight-arrow loyal and patriotic soldier, Marvel set themselves up for
Strike Two.

Fortunately for Marvel the bats connected. Borrowing heavily from Sky
Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Captain America was handled fairly
well. Meanwhile Ruffalo has almost stolen the show in making The Hulk
the best character in Avengers Assemble.

Hiddleston's Loki brings the most malevolence to sibling rivalry since
Cain and Abel. Mostly new character The Black Widow's entrance is made
with much aplomb, and the tightest leather pants in any Avenger since
Emma Peel - though it has to be admitted that Cobie Smulders' Maria Hill
gives her competition even in those stakes.

Sixth member Hawkeye's character explication is delayed for reasons of
plot, and afterwards only a few hints are dropped as to his, thankfully
non-romantic, history with Black Widow. It'll be interesting to see
whether there's subsequent audience demand  for a backstory movie
incorporating those two, possibly with Jackson's Nick Fury.

Not that the plot is held up any for introductions, which are very much
done on the move. Loki has bad intentions, an all-powerful Cosmic Cube,
and Nick Fury forms The Avengers to stop him.

It goes without saying that, as with the comics, the sundry superheroes
find it hard to get along. For anyone who wants to know what happens
when superhero X fights superhero Y, we do discover that it's not very
good for trees.

Finally the guys assemble at SHIELD's secret base, which owes a tip of
the hat to Captain Scarlet, and argue some more. If anyone wonders what
the Buffy guy is doing directing here, then the dialogue shows that
"Experience in writing witty banter amongst gods, humans, and other
entities", must have in bold letters on his resume.

Ultimately of course the team has to finally get together and fight the
bad guys, So there's a little pathos, as they acquire something to
avenge, and, shades of The Hellmouth opening, Loki fetches an army from
outer space.

It's at this point that I wanted there to have been a little more prior
engagement with Loki's army. There hadn't been much time spent
establishing what they were after on Earth, other than to kill humans,
or why they stopped off at Transformers Planet on the way. So they just
get mown down like comsic cannon-fodder in the final scene. But the
final scene sets a new standard for movie spectacle. It is completely
absorbing and the superheroes do manage to make all the mowing down seem
like actual hard work, while the final showdown between one of them and
Loki produced the loudest joint laugh I've ever heard from a movie
audience. That is though in a good way that they're going to share with
their friends, just as soon as their friends have seen the movie - or
perhaps some are going to ruin what will become a much-replayed movie
comedy moment.

I wonder how many wives and girfriends have been subjected to revising
the various prequels in the last couple of weeks. I headed out for a
repeat IMAX showing last night as a pal's girlfriend (after Thor,
Captain America and the two Iron Man movies) drew a line in the sand and
refused to accompany him. I would say though that Whedon has managed to
make a movie which will appeal far beyond the fanboys and the nostalgic,
though it's set a new standard for them. It's headed to making the
studios so much money that they'll be under pressure to get more out
faster. If this kind of quality is what waiting produces though, I'd
counsel them to stick to it.

As always, there's an Easter Egg during the trailers. I assume that this
tells us who the bad guy is in the next movie, but I can't figure out
who it's meant to be. Answers on a postcard...

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.