Sometimes there really is method in their madness

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Thu May 10 05:11:17 EDT 2012

On 08/05/2012 23:56, stewartbas at AOL.COM wrote:
> I always thought they sucked. Van Halen that is, not brown mms.

I tend to prefer Sports Mixtures. There is a link though. As kids, when
we travelled to the grocer's to buy some, we could order "Quarter Pound
of Sports Mixtures, no blacks". The grocer would dutifully pour 'em out
and pick out the black (liquorice flavour, it wasn't a race thing -
though would it be if we excluded black Jelly Babies?) ones and put them
in a separate jar. There were a fw weird kids who'd order "all blacks".

When modern service methods came in, we couldn't expect Retail
Assistants to pick out the blacks for us. I discovered that eating a
liquorice and a fruit one, both at once, sufficiently altered the
bitterness to be palatable.

In some of the modern packs which are of course pre-sealed these days,
the liquorice has now been replaced by blackberry-flavour black sweets.

If I'm ever a Rock God though, I know what to do...

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.