BOC: Imaginos

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Nov 9 21:19:19 EST 2012

On 08 Oct 2012, at 15:17 , Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:

> I didn't see anyone else mention what you may already know, Carl, that there are two versions of `Gil Blanco County' on _St Cecilia_, the Stalk Forrest Group album that was put out a few years ago. Not much there is stately, though it's all marvellous. While quite a lot of BOC, and specifically _Imaginos_ is many places could be said to sound of dark things lurking in the woods at night, `Gil Blanco County' on the SFG album sounds of sun through trees in the daytime, so I don't know quite how it must have wound up in 1988...

Yeah, the SFG Gil Blancos have a very West-Coast kind of vibe ... verging on folky.  Like bits of The Byrds getting mixed in with bits of the Airplane; one can imagine an Acid-Test-era Dead having a go at it and mangling the vocals (and probably much else! :)).  If I may get very freaky with unexpected comparisons, it recalls early Fairport Convention for that matter! (Perhaps only Richard Thompson might have also navigated the fairly clean-toned yet blistering guitar runs in there!)

Praises for the SFG release are rightly sun in a review on Julian Cope's Head Heritage site: http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1733/

Anyway ....  The "lost" Gil Blanco of the Imaginos sessions sounds rather different!  It's starts with a vibe of dark things lurking, and then perhaps emerges in New Orleans rather than Marin County. You may "view" it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqbjuXRiVk

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson