Hawklords: Glasgow 19/10/12

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Mon Oct 22 11:21:59 EDT 2012

Arrived in Glasgow to meet an old friend for a meal at the Roundhouse
near the SECC - now a Chinese/Japanese/Thai restaurant and had a very
nice Tom Yum soup and Crispy Chilli Beef.

Over thirty years ago Tony and I were students together and ran
minibuses to Edinburgh and Glasgow to see Hawkwind gigs. I also did my
first Glastonbury and Stonehenge festivals in his company. So Tony, his
new wife Julie, and Lucy and I set off from there to The Ferry.

I'd been expecting one of those under-the-boardwalk nightclubs and was
pleasantly surprised to see that The Ferry was in fact a boat. The
insides had been hollowed out to form a nightclub, with a bar and stage
on the lower deck and a kind of three sided balcony upstairs with more
tables and a bar.

Unfortunately the backing band was one of those who figured that quality
can be traded with volume and came on at such an earsplitting level that
simple thought, let alone conversation, was impossible.  Or so I thought
anyway. Julie is in fact a sign-language interpreter and had a hurried
conversation in Sign with Tony. Even an Aspie could have figured out it
was Sign for "Let's get the fuck outta here!"

Since Julie's day job is to interpret into sign, she values her hearing
perhaps more than most of us. She'd decided to call it quits. I tried
suggesting that Hawklords were unlikely to do the same, but she was
clearly upset.

We all walked her back to her hotel and had a drink there before heading
back. The band had started when we got there. The lineup was Ron tree,
Jerry Richards, Harvey Bainbridge, and Adrian Shaw. I didn't recognise
the drummer. I'd expected Steve Swindells since he's on their new album,
but no luck there.

They played a mixed set between stuff from the new album and older
tracks. I recognised "We Are One" and "The Mothership", "Time Split
Vision" and "Spark In The Dark" from the album and they played "Psi
Power", "25 Years", "Master of the Universe", "Brainstorm", "Damnation
Alley" and "Silver machine". It was a pretty energetic performance (at
reasonable volume) with Ron being his usual self. Harvey and Jerry were
very much on form and made the gig for me, and they were pretty tight
and clearly rehearsed, with none of the looseness that comes with some
of the Nik-inspired outings. They brought at least some of the new
tracks to life in a way that just doesn't come through on the album,
mainly I think through Harvey, who really is a wizard of the keys these
days. I bet he could do a mean Doctor Who theme.

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.