Silver Machine - William Shatner

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Fri Sep 14 10:25:50 EDT 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
> On 06 Jun 2012, at 11:27 , Patrick Charles wrote:
>> Rutger Hauer doing the Siege & Investiture...
> Woah! :)

 	Amen!

> For, like, 15 years I've been musing over a song inspired by Hauer's
> "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ... Attack ships on fire
> off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near
> the Tannhäuser Gate" from the "Tears in Rain" solioquy at the end of
> Blade Runner.  I think Jon Jarrett and I were kicking the idea around at
> some point; I more or less remember the riffs around which something was
> going to be built.  I was going to steal some ideas from Lemmy's "The
> Watcher" and "Make 'Em Blind" (e.g. "We come in blazing rockets/We bring
> you greed and slavery/No alien utopia/Will long survive our bravery").
> Anyway, I always wanted to know how those attack ships ended up on fire
> off the shoulder of Orion, and it seemed like whatever that story was
> would be worth a song.. :)

 	We were, indeed, kicking the idea round; I more or less remember
the verse riff you were toying with and still have the lyrics I wrote on
the home machine, though as I recall them, sadly, they don't quite match
your stated aims above ;-) The soliloquy also turns up in a Ship of Fools
track called `In Time', to great effect (mind you the whole track is done
to great effect). Yours,
 			 Jon

--
   Jonathan Jarrett       "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
Medievalist historian    but stands also delivered by some good author."