Hawkwind Trademark Wars

Ed Mundo e_clout at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 14 12:45:49 EDT 2013

Hawkwind have posted some more information on the Forum HERE regarding the 'worrying twitter messages' from late March/early April.Here's a C+P of the post:
"Hello folks,
We need to explain a few things, but because of possible ongoing legal action, we will keep it brief, to the point and not dwell on all of the possible arguments and legal implications.
Just before HawkEaster it was brought to our attention that Nik Turner has applied to have the Hawkwind trademark registered in his name. http://www.trademarkia.com/nik-turners- ... 76225.html
We will give you all of the details, the implications to Hawkwind and our possible options asap. However tonight, we are trying to initiate discussions to try to sort all of this out amicably. We live in hope that a solution will be found that will not divide the fans and destroy the band. We really hope that this is possible. We are waiting for a response, so its out of our hands at the moment. As soon as we know anything further, you all will too...
Thanks for your support."
Seem's it's 'Nik Turner's Hawkwind' he is seeking to TM, and that Cleopatra Records are supporting him in the application and also have form in this area. I had noticed that there has been an element of use of Hawkwind and Ex-Hawkwind in posts and material regarding Nik's recent activity in the states. I wondered about it at the time, as I know TMs have to be actively defended or they are lost (hence Warner Bros etc. going after small buisnesses using 'Hobbit' etc.).
My personal feelings are that it's all a bit tiresome, and a bit bloody minded on N.T.'s part, not to mention with little merit. My understanding is NT was an original member, but not strictly a founding member; that was DB and Mick Slattery and John Harrison who founded the band, then Terry Ollis joined, then Dik Mik and NT, and then Group X played at All Saint's Hall. And he's left once and been fired once, and not been in Hawkwind since the 80's and Hawkwind has existed continuously since he was in it. So US TM law notwithstanding, I don't see how NT could justify being entitled to have a 'Hawkwind' of his own? It's been 28 years so shouldn't he just get over it? And he already had a go once in the infamouse early 2000's court case (Hawkwind's POV on that HERE)

Here are the links again as they don't always come out properly on the list:Hawkwind's post:http://hawkwindforum.freeforums.org/post98744.html#p98744Nik Turner's TM Application:http://www.trademarkia.com/nik-turners-hawkwind-85776225.htmlHW 2000s Court Case View:http://hawkwindforum.freeforums.org/post18095.html#p18095
Mundo